The resources that were recommended for this page cover a wide range of subjects within the animal agriculture arena and beyond. Please scroll down to the bottom to see a complete cloud of tags you can click.
To assist readers in browsing through these resources, key topic tags were created for each resource. However, the tags are not comprehensive of all the topics covered in each resource and some topics are lumped under others. The tags are listed in bold on this page, which includes some definitions to facilitate usage.
Biosecurity- risks in the sectors of food safety in the production and distribution of animal products related to chemical exposure, pathogens and diseases associated with human and non-human health as it relates to regulations, trade policies, consumer confidence etc.
- Antibiotics– related to biosecurity, but gets a separate tag because it is a “hot topic”
Carbon sequestration– animal farming can contribute as a carbon sink
Climate Adaptation– or climate resilience
Climate emissions-related to climate change, GHG emissions and air pollution
Demand management –discuss need and methods of influencing consumption of animal products for health or sustainability.
- Market research
- Consumer awareness- (Shifts in consumer values, Education initiatives, labeling)
Externalities accounting– need for negative externalities of animal agriculture to be quantified and/or embedded in financial systems or market prices, etc.
Food Security- often discussed in terms of the sustainability of feeding a growing world population and projected rising global demands
- Feedcrops- there is much discussion on food crops (normally corn and other grains) used as feed in animal production, often viewed as an inefficiency in feeding the global population
Global Markets –Analysis of trade, imports, exports of ag products
Market Infrastructure- distribution facilities such as supermarkets, food hubs, local markets, CSAs
- Water-resource impact, water pollution and usage associated with animal agriculture
- Land Use– land conversion for animal production, associated with:
- Land rights
- Rangeland degradation
Nutrition and Health– anything related to obesity, cardiovascular disease, medical costs, often associated with high levels of meat consumption and developed nations.
Policy:-anything related to farm policy reform, policy analysis, or policy recommendations. Additional sub-tags may include:
Production Systems-Where industrial production is compared to alternative, more sustainable production systems.
- Agroecology-and related concepts such as agroforestry, “pasture-raised”, mixed production systems etc.
- Agroindustry– large scale animal production/industrial production systems and practices
- Industry influence– the economic and political power of agroindustries
Postharvest loss – includes discussion on food wasted at all parts of the posthavest supply chain from processor to distributor to consumer. “Food waste”, which is generally used to refer to consumer-specific postharvest loss, is lumped under this tag
Private sector- focus on role of private companies to make impact.
Production efficiency– or production intensification
Social Sustainability-anything related to:
- Rural livelihoods
- Social costs
- Worker welfare
- Cultural acceptance
Trends and Drivers– many resources discuss trends in changing meat consumption in various parts of the world, changing demand, changes in production systems and trends in international policies
- Projections (of trends for the future)
Most resources discuss a variety of animal products. Only those that are fairly product specific are tagged with the following:
Most resources mention a variety of geographic regions/countries. Those with a more specific focus are tagged:
- Latin America